Professional Detention

One of the great challenges for teachers and administrators is the often daunting task of developing meaningful in-house professional development opportunities. It has always been a best practice to design PDs that address particular problems of practice that are identified by the staff, the administration or both. Great PDs manage to identify areas in need of growth and tailor professional development in a way that honors the time and talents of the participants. All too often however, this is not the case.

Check out this time and talent waster from a Chicago Public School PD:

This is not how professionals should be spending their time.

One valuable first step in determining the authentic “value” of your staff PDs is for presenters/administrators to allow the participants to present immediate feedback. I find it helpful if team members give PD session feedback through the following lens as part of a reflective Workshop Evaluation Form:

• Authentic Engagement – I was very involved in this learning experience most of the time. The content will be valuable to me and to my school or department or school system.
  • Ritual Engagement – I participated in this learning experience throughout the time allotted. I believe attendance at this program is part of what others expect of me.
  • Passive Compliance – Although I was present during the learning experience, I did not always clearly focus on the content. Most of the time my attention was on other matters.
  • Rebellion – Throughout this experience I found ways, other than the planned activities, to occupy my time and attention.

The above video was posted on a  blog by New Jersey teacher Michael Dunlea called WHEN P.D. BECOMES “PAINFUL DETENTION.” because it illuminates the characteristics of bad PD and offers examples of outstanding professional learning. The post is worth the read specifically for Dunlea’s overview of how his district used the concept of an EdCamp style format to make all the stakeholders in the PD active participants.